What We're Reading for August 2018

Author: Whitney Parker Mitchell August 1, 2018

Lastline, the security solutions company, has a report on malware attacking the banking and finance industry.  Lastline analyzed all threats targeting finance departments and financial services companies over a recent 30-day period.  The analysis found that the average number of malicious files found to be infiltrating network traffic in the sector was one in every 340, compared with a global average of one in 500.  One in 10 malware threats displayed advanced behaviors to avoid detection and steal credentials, compared to a global average of one in 12.

Malware targeting the banking and finance industry also tended to be associated in greater numbers with email related file types such as Microsoft Office docs and rich text format (RTF) documents.  In looking further into its “100 latest malware samples,” Lastline described its analysis as having “captured a Microsoft Office-based campaign …. various office file extensions comprise 62 percent of the recent file types with the remaining 38 percent being Portable Executable Files.

Technical details of the analysis are included in the report, which can be downloaded here.

Topics: Blog , Cyber Security , Executive Corner